While I eat fairly well most of the time, I am far from perfect (I have a hard time saying no to chips, which is why I try not to have them around too often!), and it's always good to do a diet clean-up. I recently did a 10 Day Detox with a group of patients from the clinic, today I would like to share what I learned while doing it.
The goal over the 10 days was to remove oranges, corn, eggs, soy, red meat, animal dairy, refined sugars, gluten, processed condiments, peanuts, sugar and caffeine containing drinks. I'm going to start by being completely honest with you, I wasn't totally perfect with avoiding all of these over the 10 days. I had my husband's birthday, and a girl's weekend, and I did eat a few foods on the "avoid" list. I was however more conscious of the choices that I did make, and I did notice several changes that I hope to continue now that the 10 days are over.
- It helped me increase my vegetable intake – instead of reaching for a muffin (even though they were usually homemade) or a sweeter snack, I really tried to focus on having a variety of vegetables
- I reinvigorated my love for making smoothies with a variety of fruits and vegetables – for the middle part of the 10 days, the goal was to focus on green vegetables, and only have pears and apples for fruit, so I had to get creative with my ingredients. I added in things like sprouts, parsley, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, in addition to the protein powder and more common things I would use. Most of them tasted really good!
- It helped me drink more water. This is something I really struggle with, but having all of the smoothies, and just being more conscious of getting 9 glasses a day really helped me increase my intake.
- My digestion was really happy. I don't have any major issues, but I did notice less gas, bloating and better bowel movements (sorry if that's TMI☺).
- I have been sleeping amazingly! Even though there are lots of exciting things going on in my life right now, I have been falling asleep no problem, and waking up more easily than I usually do. I'm not sure if that is due to eliminating coffee (even though I drink decaf, it does have some), or because I was eating such an anti-inflammatory diet. Either way, I like this change a lot!
Even though the detox is over, I am re-inspired to continue with these changes. We will be offering another 10 Day Detox in the coming weeks, but I know that a strict elimination diet is not something that everyone wants to or is able to do. If you are looking for something that is more of a long term healthy diet, not quite as restrictive, but still focuses on clean, whole foods eating, then my 30 day "Your Best Life" program is perfect for you! The next one is beginning on Monday, and there are still a few spots left. You can join at: Dr. Jennifer Haessler.com or by clicking the link below!
Join "Your Best Life"